Sunday, March 19, 2006

Just a quick note.

Just thought I'd answer a couple questions...

I am planning to get my masters, (doctorate? Possible, doubtful, though...) in Music ( and by that I mean vocal) performance. Right now I"m looking at different grad schools, just sort of scoping them out to know what I need to work towards...two that are plausible and still in consideration right now are USD Grad school, which is more practical simply because I don't have to wait a year between graduation and starting grad school. Another school is University of MInnesota, which would be very cool, very worth it to be able to attend there...it is somewhat expensive, but relatively cheap as the grad schools I've looked at so far go. It's around 7,000 for a non-resident, per semester, and most other schools that I've looked at are at least 12,000.

Amanda, I have no idea what tests you were talking about, to be honest, but now that I've got the heads up, I'll look into them. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What would you like to do with your Master's in Vocal Performance??

The GRE test is the exam needed to get into grad school. It is no fun. You can buy books to help you study. I still have mine, but I'm sure things have changed some. You can pick up those books at the campus store.
~SRW

Anonymous said...

Oh, come on, you need a doctorate, you know you do! Can I talk you into it with money? Of course, I know nothing about music performance, but in psychology at least, the only way you can get decent financial aid is by being a PhD candidate. Like, at West Virginia University (which I would kill to get into), the difference is that master's candidates are completely unsupported and pay about $13,500 a year (non-resident), whereas PhD candidates in the behavior analysis program are fully supported through assistantships and pay only $200 a year. (Just a wee bit of difference there.... Of course, you end up paying for it with your time, your youth, and your sanity, but let's not get into that. :D )

University of Minnesota?! Ooooooohhh! I bet that would be fun. I'll report back to you on the state of the campus, etc. after I go there in June.

In case you haven't yet looked, the new GRE isn't coming out until fall 2007, a year later than originally planned. Most people I've known who took it took it in September or October of their senior year, but we're straddling the deadline. If we take it in August, old GRE. (I don't remember about September.) If we take it in October, new GRE. The main differences are that the old GRE is a computer adaptive test (meaning that the computer chooses your next question's difficulty level based on whether or not you answered the previous question correctly--you get your estimated score right away, but the drawback is that you can't revisit questions), contains (more?) geometry on the quantitative section, the verbal section is primarily vocabulary (as opposed to reading), and the analytical section is slightly different in terms of the time you have to write the essays. Used study manuals are really cheap on Amazon. I own the Princeton Review guide 2006 and I highly recommend The GRE For Dummies for what I thought were great tips. On the ETS website, if you go to the GRE section, you can download PowerPrep for free and get practice with the test interface. And I loved number2.com for tutorials, but I worked my way through them all. :(

P.S. Wow. This "comment" is really way too long to post in a comments section. Sorry.